Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My 'View' on Television

The women of "The View" have done it again. And I do not mean create dynamic television that is hard-hitting and incredibly moving, because you can't do something again if it was never accomplished in the first place. I mean that they have once again provided a "view" that is ridiculously lopsided and out of sync with true America. Looking at the all-star set of commentators on the show will give a clear picture of my point. Barbara Walters, Whoppi Goldberg, Joy Behar, and Sherri Shepard are all Democrats. Elisabeth Hasselbeck is the lone Republican. I find it ridiculous that the couch is so unbalanced. I understand that fair and impartial reporting is not really Barbie Walters M.O., but it is really out of hand. Which is why I found the John McCain interview so entertaining. I was really on the edge of my seat, waiting, wondering if Whoppi was going to make another ridiculous "Do you want me to be a slave?"-type comment. I mean, really, now she just sounds silly. Upon reflection (because, while not deep, I did find the interview interesting) I was even more disappointed by the women on "The View" than my initial reaction had indicated. For some people, "The View" is the only way they know about anything in current events today. For those people that don't watch the nightly news or read the paper (and those numbers are becoming scarily high), but do consistently watch "The View" Barbie and her cohorts are doing a real disservice. I am not advocating for conservative dominated television, but I am advocating for balance. The women of "The View" should realize that they have clout over a very specific voter demographic, and that at the moment they are hurting, not helping the American people. I haven't looked up the statistics, but simply based on looking at how close the race is, I am not sure that 4 out of 5 women are Democrats. Sadly, the women of "The View" do not agree. In MY view, television celebrities should use their power for knowledge and education, not opinion-ation (that is my new word for education surrounding personal opinion). If I could vote, I would make it clear that more than 20% of American women are conservative. And if necessary, I would proudly sit in for Elisabeth Hasselbeck if she ever needed a replacement, or maybe just an ally.

1 comment:

Ramavich said...

And imagine the number of people who get their world view from watching Oprah. She is immensely influentual.