Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Why Work When You Could Run for President?

I am going to be watching all three of the Presidential debates, as well as the Vice Presidential debate (I have an interest beyond the fact that is an AP Gov assignment). Now my only question is: is there going to be a debate at all on Friday? In the back of my mind, I know that the answer is yes. Of course the candidates will debate on Friday night, because neither of them have the courage to not debate. This is not to say that they are not brave, strong individuals who have the ability to pull out of the debate if they really wanted to. What I mean is that neither of the men is willing to take the possible hit in the polls that not debating could bring. But, even though I know that it will not happen this way, I am still hoping that John McCain will insist that his presence, despite what some may say, is needed in Washington, at the Senate. Why do I hope for such things? Not because I would like to have my Friday night free from note-taking on the debate, because that would only be an extra benefit. I want for McCain to insist on no debate because he and Senator Obama have a primary responsibility to their jobs. These men are not just our Presidential candidates; they are two members of the most elite group of elected officials in the country. They have a primary responsibility to do their job, not to talk about possible solutions for the problem that they may have to deal with, if they are elected when they have an opportunity to fix it right now. These men get paid from our tax dollars to work in the Senate, not campaign for a new job. This is not to say that I do not respect all of the hard work that the candidates put into their campaigns, but I am saying that these men need their priorities in order. The time spent debating could mean the difference between economic change now or later. I think everyone’s choice would be change now, talk later. So why are willing to suspend the rules for these men? McCain and Obama are equal and important members of the Senate. I think that these two men should be showing me what they can do with the economy, not tell me about it in a nicely lit auditorium. So if I could vote, I would cast a ballot for the man who campaigned hard, but worked harder, knowing that he will all ways put his true job first.

No comments: